"To Catch a Killer" Review- 4/5 Stars

Genre: Crime, thriller, action, drama
Platform: Netflix
Rating: R

    I'm a sucker for investigative crime shows, and I've seen Shailene Woodley in The Fault in Our Stars, so yesterday, I decided to watch To Catch A Killer for my Friday night movie. It's a thrilling, edge-of-your-seat film, and a great one at that.
    To Catch A Killer follows police officer Eleanor Falco as she teams up with the FBI in the race to catch an impossibly precise sniper killing citizens in Baltimore. It is pretty similar to other crime movies/shows, but Eleanor's personal issues sets her apart from other "hero cops" on tv.
    The opening scene appears normal, as partygoers celebrate New Year's Eve on rooftops around the city. It does not seem like the setup for a crime film, so *SPOILER* the gunshots that follow come as a slight shock to viewers. There is no slow build-up of tension; it is a zero-to-sixty launch straight into the action and plot. I tend to dislike slow burns, so I liked how quickly the movie got started. The idea of a sniper taking out people partying on a rooftop is terrifying to me, and I'm sure other viewers feel the same.
    Although I am a seasoned crime fan, I did not expect so much graphic violence in this film. *SPOILERS* Four scenes caught me off guard: the explicit shooting of the mall pedestrians, Eleanor revealing her scars, the many shots of the slaughterhouse, and the suicide of Dean's mother. I did not expect these things to be shown explicitly onscreen, but maybe that is because I am not used to R-rated movies.
    The acting in this film is amazing, and although he is only onscreen for a few minutes, Ralph Inseon stole the show for me. *SPOILER* The conversation between his character Dean and Eleanor near the end of the film is heartbreaking and reminds viewers that, just as Lammark said near the beginning, criminals are people, not just types. I like that the bad guy is portrayed sympathetically, and that he has time to explain himself to someone who understands his pain. Not many movies give their villains a chance to speak their minds, but To Catch A Killer does. This film strikes a balance of showing that the killer is still human, while not justifying or glorifying his actions. I appreciate that Dean is not portrayed as "crazy" or "unhinged", and is, in fact, quite logical when he talks to Eleanor. Both Ineson and the production team did a wonderful job creating this antagonist.
    Eleanor's self-loathing and history of addiction is unique among the sea of saint-like martyrs that often carry investigative dramas on tv. The scene where she discusses her history with Lammark is sobering and realistic. Woodley's performance is raw and sympathetic to her character's suffering. I thought this protagonist was a bit dry and quiet, but it seemed to fit with her "tortured hero" archetype.
    To Catch A Killer is the first movie in a long time to make me physically anxious and make my heart race. It definitely keeps viewers on the edge of their seats in the best way. It is thrilling ride for any fan of crime or action movies. I recommend it and would watch it again.

The poster for To Catch A Killer

Comments

Popular Posts